Friday, August 17, 2007

Internet Censorship in Turkey

From our clipmark friend and fellow blogger Invictus (at Omega Blog):

When I tried to post a new entry to my blog a few minutes ago, I came across this page. It says: “Access to this site has been suspended in accordance with decision no: 2007/195 of T.C. Fatih 2.Civil Court of First Instance.”

At first, I thought it was my blog but after trying to access Wordpress.com’s main page, I noticed the entire Wordpress.com domain was blocked by the authorities.

Another ridiculous example of censorship on the Internet content, in Turkey. There are hundred thousands of blogs on Wordpress.com and none can be accessed from Turkey now.

This decision of the court is a shame for a country which claims to respect free speech. I protest this unfair blockage on Wordpress and call all the Turkish bloggers to support free speech and to condemn censorship.


Indeed it is a shame. Turkey has briefly joined the ranks of countries like Iran and China that block Internet content in order to control/stifle internal debate. But according to Invictus, bloggers in Turkey are not taking this order lightly and will fight it. Good luck!

UPDATE: Other blogs (like our blogmigo RickB at Ten Percent) are picking up the story and the Clipmarks community is lining up (mostly) behind Invictus and his fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment